I have really enjoyed reading about Self Directed Learning (SDL). In particular, it has resolved many issues that I have had about online learning for high schoolers and even college students. Online learning, unlike learning in a classroom where you are counted present or absent, requires some amount of self direction. It is the unusual high schooler or one who has a lot of self-discipline to take an online course.
For example, my son, a typical teenager in many ways, was motivated to get ahead in math so he took an online Algebra II course. Knowing that he was not the best at admitting when he needed help, I immediately had him work with a tutor alongside of the course. Without the aid of the tutor, he would never have been able to make it through the class. The program was also badly implemented and administered. I will name names here. It was called James Madison HS through the Ashworth College site. The online tutor was only available at limited times (and never on weekends), the textbook was mediocre at best and the tests were appalling. Every test had at least two problems that were invalid (not intentionally) and the problems didn't look like any of the problem sets in the homework.
My son scraped through and we didn't have any other options at the time if he wanted to advance to the next level of math as a junior. Luckily, his pre-cal teacher is excellent and this bad experience hasn't handicapped my son in anyway. We did look into another online course in AP History offered by a different school which incorporated a schedule and regular check-ins with an online mentor but we quickly realized that it wasn't for him.
I believe that there needs to be a governing body for these online courses and that they need to be highly regulated, particularly for these for-profit schools. Otherwise, many students out there are being sold a bill of goods. I believe the best options are to work with established colleges and universities that already have high education standards. The rest is problematic.
Also knowing Grow's different stages are particularly helpful in designing an online class. Knowing what stage your audience is in will allow you to create a curriculum that works.
No comments:
Post a Comment